Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hollywood hates all things Mexico, or so I think

For many years I have been analyzing the television and movie American content in relation with their view of Mexico. After careful thought, I decided to create a simple blog relating the different opinions I have in how the United States media outlets view Mexico. Take into consideration that I am a Mexican, writing in Mexico. Even when my opinions may be considered biased, I think in the other hand that it is pertinent to listen to the other side which has been spoken, acted, or portrayed in movies and television programs.

I believe it is necessary to have this because of the importance and all-dominant establishment of the US programs and movies in the rising hegemonic one-world culture we are experiencing. We as Mexicans are not able to express as powerful as the Americans can through Holliwood and Television. Thus, the world can only percieve as Mexican through the distorted American eyes of the media.

I am not talking about news outlets. The way the US inform the world about Mexico is actually lacking far more of the negative side. What I am referring to is to how the US portrays Mexico in movies and television. The United States inform valiantly about thing occurring in Mexico, but is unable to portray it.

What I will do in this blog is to analyze all cases where Mexico is portrayed in the television of the cinema industries. I will refer to the different times Mexico is shown in a specific movie or television episode, and reveal the truth of what is going over here. Several years ago a German penpal thought I was still living in a hacienda with horses and donkeys. I am not saying it does not exist in Mexico, but is not generalized as many overseas might still think. And I believe all of this is caused by how Mexico is portrayed, not informed, in movies and television programs. Again, this has nothing to do with news. I am referring to the portrayal, sometimes racist or intentionally uninformed.

No comments:

Post a Comment